Tuesday, July 9, 2013



Trouble "The Distortion Field" (2013 FRW )

Legendary doomsters Trouble make their much anticipated return with "The Distortion Field". Trouble is a band that should be so much bigger than it is, but the cult like following the band has does a good job of showing Trouble the love they so rightfully deserve.First we need to discuss the elephant in the room. This is the bands first release without longtime front man Eric Wagner.The former singer decided to leave Trouble in 2008, allowing former Warrior Soul singer Kory Clarke to enter the mix. I will be the first to say that I absolutely hated Kory in Trouble. Much of that strong dislike came from my huge love of the band and all they had done up to that point. I was not looking forward to hearing a studio recording with Kory for the fact that he is not a doom guy. Which brings me to new vocalist Kyle Thomas. I am a huge fan of Exhorder. I liked Floodgate, and really liked Alabama Thunderpussy. Kyle has such a wide range and has influenced many great front men such as Philip Anselmo, who is also a fan of Trouble. See where I am going? Trouble simply rocks. That being said I still looked for a reason to dislike "The Distortion Field". There is one huge problem, no matter what i thought, I can not do anything but rock the hell out when it comes on. With each listen I like the album more and more than I did the previous listen.

Right out of the gate, the classic Trouble riffs are plentiful. Then Kyle kicks in and all is more than okay.Kyle's range is absolutely incredible. He ties together the dual guitar hammer of  iconic guitarists Bruce Franklin and Rick Wartell and makes it seem that there is so much more there musically than there was before.This is Trouble at it's finest  and the die hard fans will  all but forget about Eric Wagner's absence. There is new energy that has worked it's way into the Trouble sound and it comes across on "The Distortion Field" as that Trouble groove is out front for all to witness. There are major riffs on the album that take you back to the "Manic Frustration", and Trouble" records. 

Overall I give this album a 9.5/10.Half a point was deducted for Eric Wagner not being in the band. Kyle Thomas will demand your respect on "the Distortion Field" with his powerful voice. The guitars, well what the hell needs to be said about what everyone has come to expect.The opening track, "When the Sky Comes Down" starts off with that classic Trouble march and Kyle's powerful vocals that set the tone for the entire record. I have never been so excited,yet cautious about an album before, but I know what I expect from Trouble and they deliver and than some.Kyle's voice is a weapon that has given Trouble plenty of ammunition, and will carry Trouble onward and upward.

Tracklist:

1- When the Sky Comes Down
2- Paranoia Conspiracy
3- The Broken Have Spoken
4- Sink or Swim
5- One Life
6- Have I told You
7- Hunters of Doom
8- Glass of Lies
9- Butterflies
10- Sucker
11- Greying Chill of Autumn
12- Bleeding Alone
13- Your Reflection

No comments:

Post a Comment