Monday, July 15, 2013

CD Review - My Ruin-"The Sacred Mood" (2013 Tune Core)



My Ruin-"The Sacred Mood" (2013 Tune Core)

Eight albums into a bands catalog, one can not say they are new to the scene. I have heard My Ruin over the years, and have always like what I heard from them. I always thought the music was well written, The production was always killer, and here it comes so bear with me. Female fronted bands in metal and extreme music are few and far between. Sure there are some, and some decent ones at that, but I always have the thought creep into my head that it was the guys that put the screaming woman out in front to help get some recognition. That is sure as hell not the case here. Tairrie B, is the most well rounded front woman in metal ! The D.I.Y approach that she, and the rest of My Ruin take is bad ass! She does what she wants, not what some suit tells her to do to sell records. She definitely has that rebellious punk rock, full of piss and vinegar attitude that drives the energy of the bands music.

"The Sacred Mood" showcases the massive sound of Mick Murphy on guitar. If you have never heard Mick, do yourself a favor and check this record out,as this is the culmination of his playing. As I said earlier previous efforts are very good, but Mick takes it to another level on "The Sacred Mood". He goes from heavy grooves, to straight up shredder , to dirty southern riffs in the blink of an eye. Oh yeah , I almost forgot! Mick keeps a nasty beat behind the drum kit too! Mick is definitely a rare breed, and embodies the D.I.Y. attitude that catapulted many metal bands to the top.

Overall: , I give "The Sacred Mood" an 8 out of 10. The album is a weapon of massive sound. My Ruin are metal , no doubt about it. I like to say dirty rock n roll. There are hardcore beats all over this album. The albums opening track "Monolith of Wrath" starts off with the hardcore build, kicks in, and the abrasive vocals of. Tairire B kick you right in the gut. "Trouble", an Elvis Presley cover with a heaping dose of blasphemy, closes out this monster of an album with a hard and slow blues sound that punches you right in the face, and picks the tempo as it moves ahead with Ms. B screaming her soul out it seems. "God Is a Girl With a Butcher Knife" is the song that got my attention and has a steady groove all throughout that will have you nodding and stomping all around , screaming until your throat is raw and broken trying to keep up with the flag bearer of female metal vocalists.

Tracklist:
1- Monolith of Wrath
2- Moriendo Renascor
3- God is a Girl with a Butcher Knife
4- Heretic Dreams
5- Honey of the Human Soul
6- Insomniac Moon
7- Hour of the Wolf
8- Del Riche
9- Harsh Light of Day
10- Trouble (Elvis Presley Cover)

No comments:

Post a Comment